The topic for the day is “Numeric Logic” and currently lots of questions have been asked from this topic in CAT.Today we have picked up a set from CAT 1999 for practice.
DIRECTIONS : These questions are based on the situation given below
Recently, Ghosh Babu spent his winter vacation on Kyakya Island. During the vacation, he visited the local casino where he came across a new card game. Two players, using a normal deck of 52 playing cards, play this game. One player is called the Dealer and the other is called the Player. First, the player picks a card at random from the deck. This is called the base card. The amount in rupees equal to the face value of the base card is called the base amount. The face values of Ace, King, Queen and Jack are ten. For other cards, the face value is the number on the card. Once, the Player picks a card from the deck, the Dealer pays him the base amount. Then the dealer picks a card from the deck and this card is called the top card. If the top card is of the same suit as the base card, the Player pays twice the base amount to the Dealer. If the top card is of the same colour as the base card (but not the same suit) then the Player pays the base amount to the Dealer. If the top card happens to be of a different colour than the base card, the Dealer pays the base amount to the Player.
Ghosh Babu played the game 4 times. First time he picked eight of clubs and the Dealer picked queen of clubs. Second time, he picked ten of hearts and the dealer picked two of spades. Next time, Ghosh Babu picked six of diamonds and the dealer picked ace of hearts. Lastly, he picked eight of spades and the dealer picked jack of spades.
Answer the following questions based on these four games.
- If Ghosh Babu stopped playing the game when his gain would be maximized, the gain in Rs. would have been
- The initial money Ghosh Babu had (before the beginning of the game sessions) was Rs.X. At no point did he have to borrow any money. What is the minimum possible value of X?
- If the amount of money that Ghosh Babu had with him at the end was him was Rs. 100, what was the initial amount he had with him?
- If the Ghose Babu leaves the game after he has played it twice his gain will be maximum i.e. Rs. 12
Because 1st the dealer pays the base amount, Ghosh Babu, has to start with Rs8. As minimum.
So, that he can pay Rs 16 at the end of 1′ game.
Net result = Gain of Rs 4 to Ghosh Babu.
So, he must start with Rs 96.
- Correct Answer : Option (2)
- Correct Answer : Option (4)
Level of difficulty:- Moderate to difficult
Expected time to solve:- 6 to 8 minutes.
Hope you learnt!
See you with the next one tomorrow!